By Rock Mayock 9:00 a.m. | Surprise! We are taking a departure from our normal fodder of mustaches and shirtless hunky men and revisiting USC football. It was late May the last time we checked in on Lane Kiffin and the boys. The National Letter of Intent Day had recent passed and Spring Ball was coming to a close.
As we discussed, Kiffin placing is his stamp on the USC program by demonstrating his propensity to focus on the quality, not quantity, of incoming recruits. Kiffin’s focus was spawned by the NCAA stripping 30 scholarships over the span of three years starting with the 2011 season (thank you Reggie Bush). What has Kiffin’s focus resulted with? In 2011 he produced the consensus #4 ranked recruiting class (30 recruits) and in 2012 he produced the #8 ranked recruiting class (15 recruits). The good news is that he already has a jump on his 2013 recruiting class as well.
On Monday Kiffin received verbal commitment from the top ranked CB prospect in the State of Tennessee, Jalen Ramsey, to join USC starting with the 2013 campaign. Kiffin won Ramsey’s commitment over the SEC, ACC and Big-10. More importantly Ramsey will be joining other early four and five star commits Kenny Bigelow (DT), Su’a Cravens (S), Max Browne (QB), Eddie Vanderdoes (DT), Michael Hutchings (OLB), Ty Isaac (RB), Chris Hawkins (CB), Kyle Fitts (DE), Steven Mitchell (WR), and Sebastian LaRue (WR). Not shabby Lane, not shabby at all.
- Dion Bailey (LB) was placed on both the Butkus Award and Bronco Nagurski Trophy watch list.
- Bailey joined Khaled Holmes (C), Wes Horton (DE) and Hayes Pullard (LB) on the Rotary Lombardi Award short list.
- Holmes was also placed on the Outland Trophy and Rimington Trophy watch list.
- Both T.J. McDonald (S)and Nickell Robey (CB) have been named to The Thorpe Award, Bednarik Award and Nagurski Trophy watch lists.
- Matt Barkley (QB), Curtis McNeal (RB), Robert Woods (WR) and Marqise Lee (WR) were all placed on the Maxwell Award watch list.
- Andre Heidari (PK) was named to the Lou Groza Award watch list.
- Matt Barkley is also on the Heisman Trophy watch list.
A quick bit of advice to all of the players named on the award watch lists. Earn the trophies/accolades on the field.
In yet even more USC news… Former Lakewood HS star and USC back up QB Jesse Scroggins has announced he will be enrolling at El Camino Community College with the hopes of transferring to another 4 year university this coming January. Good luck young man.