By Rock Mayock 9:00 a.m. | Memorial Day may have marked the unofficial start of Summer but today is the actual summer solstice. The summer solstice occurs when the axial tilt of a planet’s (the Earth) semi axis in a given hemisphere is most inclined towards the star (the Sun) which it orbits. The solstice event occurs twice a year and during the solstice the Sun will reach its highest position in the sky as seen from the North or South Pole. For those of us in the Northern Hemisphere the summer solstice typically falls between June 20 – June 22.
Summer is great for a plethora of reasons. The weather is warm, the food is fresh, the ladies are wearing less… what isn’t there to like?
To help our wonderful readers prepare for Summer 2012 the FOOTBALLPHDS have compiled a shortlist of activities to keep you active and special events to look forward to.
1. The start of summer means the college football is only three months away. USC kicks off both its season and home opener against Hawaii on September 1, 2012. You can find the entire 2012 Pac-12 football schedule here.
2. The summer movie season is officially upon us. Therefore expect your typical diet of Hollywood action flicks and romantic comedies. Here are our picks for your summer viewing pleasure:
3. Summer also means summer grilling season. Break out the bison steaks and grass fed beef because it’s time to increase your protein intake as you get into Speedo shape. Here are some summer grilling tips from www.summerkitchentv.com. Here is a word of advice from the FOOTBALLPHDS kitchen, NEVER use a thermometer to gauge meat doneness. Use your finger, it will never lie.
4. Speaking of Speedo bodies, it’s never too late to get your WOD on.
5. Summer also means that the ladies will be wearing less to beat the heat. What better way to pick up lovely ladies than to show off your new found Speedo body?
6. No summer is complete without paying homage to the LBC.