By Jaboner Jackson 10 p.m. | Berkeley, CA. Yesterday was Cal's Pro Day--or at least part of it because constant rain in the Bay Area eradicated position drills. But rain and the Bay go together like E-40 and ghost riding the whip, so scouts and onlookers threw on their ponchos and got down with the hyphy. And little known wide receiver Michael Calvin got stupid doo-doo dumb while riding the yellow bus. (I apologize for the slang--something about being in the Bay Area always gets me all hyphied out.)
1. Front and center for the Cal Golden Bears was little known wide wide receiver Michael Calvin, who demolished the 40-yard dash in the rain with a 4.32 second time. Calvin also had an impressive 40.5-inch vertical. I spent much of Pro Day texting Rock Mayock about who the heck this guy was because I'd never heard of him. Per Rock's texts, Calvin had a lackluster collegiate career, amassing only 42 catches and 528 yards during his four years at Cal. I couldn't help but think that Calvin would've been a lock to show up in a Raiders uniform under the Al Davis era. I'm rooting for the kid to land with a team. His Pro Day workout likely earned him a few NFL team workouts.
2. Linebacker Mychal Kendricks didn't do much of anything other than get weighed. He elected not to run in the rain. The 2011 Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year deferred to his Combine numbers. There was a running murmur through the crowd that Kendricks would translate more to a 3-4 linebacker at the next level than a 4-3.
3. Defensive lineman Ernest Owusu helped his pro stock by simply being a massive physical specimen. He measured 6'4" and weighed 277 pounds without carrying a lot of excess baggage. He also impressed the worthless bench press drill with 39 reps. Hopefully, the bench press will one day be taken out of Combine and Pro Day workouts and replaced with something more meaningful like a deadlift or muscle-up or my favorite, burpies.
4. Wide receiver Marvin Jones did nothing at Pro Day except height and weight measurements.
5. And finally, the pancakes at La Note in Berkeley are still the best in the country.
Wherever Rock sends the FOOTBALLPHDS for Pro Day, we go. Check out Rock's schedule below: