By Jaboner Jackson 2 pm | It's been a hard year for the FOOTBALLPHDS. Earlier this year, our good friend, Nate Dogg, passed away. Now one of the FOOTBALLPHDS' idols and man crushes, Peter Falk, who played Lieutenant Columbo on television for years, has died as well. Here are some facts and trivia regarding the greatest detective who ever lived:
1. The PHDs are unanimous in our determination that the best Columbo episode was, "A Stitch in Crime", co-starring Leonard Nimoy. The crafty Columbo almost let this one slip away but alas he realized that an experienced surgeon like Nimoy never cracks under pressure, which in turns make him realize that the evidence is right there in his scrubs, and so Columbo cracks the case.
2. Columbo's dog was added as a permanent fixture by producers so that the series would have more recurring characters. Ditto for the janky car. And ditto for the never glimpsed, off-stage Mrs. Columbo. And ditto for the trench coat.
3. Columbo did not have a first name. When characters asked him what his first name was, he would reply, "Lieutenant."
4. Mrs. Columbo's cooking was a "disaster." (Episode "Swan Song") For this reason, Columbo loved himself a bowl of chili from Barney's Beanery.
5. When ex-wife #4 and I went our separate ways, we only fought about who would keep the Columbo Beta and VHS collection. (Alas, she kept it; she deserved it.)
6. In "Forgotten Lady", Columbo lets the beautiful, lady murderer go. It's a rare episode in which he does not bring in the bad guy (gal).
7. If you are looking to spice up your love life, pop in a Columbo DVD (or VHS or Beta), roll up a fattie,...er, I mean cigar..., and show your loved one what's under your trench coat.
8. Columbo's boss, Sarge, gave Columbo leeway to solve the cases how he saw fit. Even though Columbo was always taking down politically well connected and wealthy murders, no suspect was able to get Sarge to take Columbo off the case.
9. Even when Columbo was on vacation, he was solving cases. He helped the Scotland Yard solve a case in London in "Dagger of the Mind."
10. Columbo likes his coffee black and his eggs hard boiled.
I hope you enjoyed this Ode to Columbo. Tonight, I'm flying out to Las Vegas for the Electric Daisy Carnival to meet up with the wife and her sisters, who have been partying there since the Britney Spears concert. But I hope to answer reader questions on the plane regarding last week's SEC Football Preview and have them posted tomorrow morning. Here's hoping that the company condo at Turnberry Towers is still intact because the wifey and her sisters sure can get wild.